For Western Cooperative Electric, which aims to protect public safety and preserve the reliable delivery of electricity, wildfire mitigation is without question a top priority. While an electric utility can never fully eliminate the risk of fire, Western is committed to taking all practical actions available to prevent the devastation a wildfire could bring to the people and communities we serve.
Examples of how Western is mitigating wildfires:
- Annual inspections of transmission lines, distribution lines, and underground distribution.
- Detailed inspections as needed.
- Pole testing
- Infrared inspections
- Vegetation management (tree trimming).
- Installing reclosers that will lock open if a fault is detected.
- Public and Emergency Responder Safety.